Thursday, March 24, 2011

I have found an online resource on how to start selling homemade food products. You do have to obtain both a business license and a permit from the health department for a home food supplier or baker. Once you have obtained the necessary permits, design your website and start getting your supplies and shipping products. This site had great advice on being able to handle large orders, how to ship, offering different packaging options, making pictures of the baked product and providing a delicious description of it. This had links to homemade crafts and other objects you might want to sell.
 http://www.ehow.com/how_5526390_sell-food-items-online.html

8 comments:

  1. Jennifer:
    Has this information encouraged you to move forward on selling food, or given you reason to hesitate? I find that most of the ehow pages are very informative and I refer to them when I am learning something new. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    You are finding wonderful resources that you can use to help start your online business. Have you decided if you are going to sell food and what would you guys make. I love cupcakes and would love to start a cupcake shop:o) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've found a great site. Look for somebody that has done something similar and talk to them via online or in person.

    Let us know what you're considering selling and maybe we could vote for our favorites. Also try to find a product that a lot of other people are not selling online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am curious to know what the Health Department's requirements are for packaging and selling spices. I have heard of people that rent commercial kitchen spaces to prepare food items. I do not have the contact information, but there is a young local man (began business as a teenager) who sells area produce and imported spices/seasonings to high end Las Vegas restaurants. He would be a good information resource.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I wonder if I could sell my sugar cookies via an online shop. I would love to know what you find out about obtaining a permit. Especiall, if they cut our pay by 8%, I may need a way to earn some extra money!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, I would be interested in talking to this guy, wonder how I could find him. I have not found out yet the HD requirements, little short on time now. I have a friend with a store on Ebay and did meet with her this week, her store is "Snookie's seconds", cute name, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out this article with profiles from power sellers and tips on selling on eBay.
    http://smallbusiness.aol.com/2010/05/11/ebay-millionaires/?ncid=webmail

    ReplyDelete