Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Cameo

   My mother has always loved jewelry (having owned a jewelry store made it so much easier) and we were going through a box of her older collections. We found a cameo that was my great grandmothers. Cameos are not my favorite pieces, I am an Aries so diamonds are truly my best friend. However we had a friend of hers look it over and he said it appears to be from the 1890's period. It is well preserved, minimal marks on the gold and the cameo itself is unmarked. It really is a work of art. I am unsure if my mother wants to part with it, however she has so many "things" as she starts to downsize there has to be a starting point. I don't think she will sell it I just wanted to share. As we laid piece after piece on the cloth, it brings back so many memories of my childhood. I always loved looking through both my grandma and my mom's treasures.

6 comments:

  1. I wonder if it is has any monetary value? You might want to check, if you decide to part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to the shared memories . . . my mother had few pieces of jewelry, but the family history and stories she told about each piece brought it alive and opened a window to a time, place, and person I had never known.

    I have never seen a cameo with that coloring; very beautiful. And to have owned a jewelry store . . . oh my, I would have been like a kid in a candy store. . . I have never heard a man wax poetic over jewelry . . . must be a "girl thing"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the jeweler thought it might be worth about 300-400$. I have lost so many pieces of jewelry that she gave me I am ashamed to say. Bracelets that came off by accident and I lost quite a bit in the Northridge earthquake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love jewlery as well and do love Diamonds. Green is my favorite color so I have a lot of Emerald pieces. People often ask me if I was born in May. I wanted a baby born in May, but we had a June and December. It is always fun to go down memory lane:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed following your blog and learning about your business adventure. I wish you all the luck in the future. Enjoy the rest of the school year and summer vacation. Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. keep post and all the best with this business adventure.

    ReplyDelete